[dba-Tech] Rip your old LPs

Gary Kjos garykjos at gmail.com
Tue Aug 8 08:30:32 CDT 2006

I received my USB turntable a while back but didn't get a chance to
try it out until last evening. I'd have to give it a very favorable
review after just that one exposure and not having tried to do convert
LP's to digital format in any other way.  Setup was easy, needed to
put the belt on the motor and the back-weight on the tonearm and put
the cartridge on the tonearm and set the balance of the tonearm and
that was it.  One thing I thought was lacking was a lever to raise and
lower the tonearm. It is completely manual, you pick up the tonearm
and set it on the record by hand. There are on and off buttons and
33.3 and 45 rpm buttons. You can do 78 rpm records by recording them
at one of the other speeds - 45 I imagine - and then using the
software to correct the speed. You can also record the 33.3 rpm
records at 45 rpm and then slow them down. This will save you time if
you are doing a lot of conversions.

The software seemed kind of clunky at first but I got the hang of it
by the end of the first side and the other sides I did went pretty
smoothly. You do have to tell it where to break the songs. You have
the ability to "clean up" extra clicks and pops if you choose. You can
save the music as either WAV or MP3 although you need to download a
dll file from a source of your choosing in order to do MP3's. A way
around their paying license fees for the MP3 format I suppose? I
googled the dll name and downloaded the first one I found and it
worked fine.

I recorded 3 full albums last night but I only got the first two
broken into songs. I did burn a cd with those first two on it and
listened to it on my drive in to work this morning and I have to say
it sounds as good as a regular Store Bought CD I have of the same
music.

I chose an album by John Hartford called Mark Twang for my first
recording. I think it was an interesting choice because it includes a
song called "Don't Leave Your Records In The Sun" where John goes into
what happens if you leave a vinyl record on the back seat of your car
and he mimics that sound with his voice. He also describes that there
was no electronic overdubbing or processing of any kind used in the
production of the record. So what better record to digitally process?
;-)

Anyway, I give Two Thumbs Up to the ION Usb Turntable.

GK

--
Gary Kjos
garykjos at gmail.com