[dba-Tech] Windows Update problem

Jon Tydda Jon.Tydda at alcontrol.co.uk
Thu Aug 24 10:55:56 CDT 2006

Hi all

We had an issue last week with our anti-virus software, so I had to go
around each PC in the building and manually update the DATS. While doing
this, I noticed that a lot of the PC's hadn't seen Windows Update in a
while, so I've been steadily working around the ones that get most use, to
get them all up the same spec with regard to installed apps (office, acrobat
etc) as well as Windows patches. Today is the turn of my bosses laptop. He
gave it to me this morning, without the charger and said "I charged it up
last night, so it should be ok for a few hours". I got two hours out of it
before it turned off... the only problem is that it did this whilst
downloading a whole bunch of stuff from WU. Now ever time I go back to WU,
it thinks about downloading the patches, then bombs out, telling me that
each download "failed".

I've downloaded the Cumulative and Roll Up patches to get a decent chunk of
things patched, but I can't manually download ALL of the patches, I don't
have that kind of time, but I don't know what to do about it. I've tried
using a different login, diskcleanup and defrag, running a registry cleaner,
and deleting everything in the temporary files, as WU help suggests.
Nothing.

Does anyone have any ideas?

MTIA

Jon

The information in this e-mail is confidential and may also be legally
privileged. The contents are intended for recipient only and are subject
to the legal notice available on request from : webmaster at alcontrol.co.uk
ALcontrol Laboratories is a trading division of ALcontrol UK Limited.
Registered Office: Templeborough House, Mill Close, Rotherham, S60 1BZ.
Registered in England and Wales No 4057291