[dba-Tech] .exe always runs Acrobat

DJK(John) Robinson djkr at msn.com
Thu Aug 31 17:36:49 CDT 2006

Billy, that was a good link.  Thanks!  I finally got to the client yesterday
and fixed the problem.

In fact, the registry edit didn't do the job, but there were some useful
tips - for instance, if .exe files won't work and you really want to run a
particular one, then change its extension to .com temporarily.

In the end, it came down to the final suggestion, trying to handle the exe
association in Explorer's File Types.  The difficulty is that you can't see
this unless you "create" it afresh, whereupon the pre-existing entry
magically appears.  I've put up a page with the details if you're interested
(watch for wrap):
http://www.djkr.co.uk/djkrco/tech/misc/EXE_file_association_problem.doc

We haven't been able to reproduce exactly the finger trouble that brought
about the problem, but there is an area of vulnerability that I'm sure was
involved.  If the user goes to the executable and right-clicks on "Pin to
Start menu", then what appears on the Start menu is a particular kind of
shortcut (don't know what MS call it, but it's not the usual sort).  It will
appear on the Start menu with the name of the .exe file, which he will want
to change to something more meaningful.  Right-click on it and select
Rename, and all will be well: the name of the link will have been chaged.

But if instead of Rename he selected Properties, he would have been able to
change the name there, too.  BUT - in this case he's changing the name of
the actual executable itself!  The name on the Menu changes too, but his
troubles have only just begun...

Although nothing showed up in the registry, I still suspect the problem was
in there somewhere.  I've got Before and After copies (100MB each) and will
explore when I have time.

John