[dba-Tech] IE 7

MartyConnelly martyconnelly at shaw.ca
Mon Dec 11 18:54:23 CST 2006

 wininet.dll has changed their error handling in IE7 so it only checks for
null pointers now.

If you are an application developer using WinInet and you start getting
crashes in these functions, take a look at the pointer values getting
passed to these functions. You are going to have to check the parameters
being passed are valid. A lot of FTP programs use wininet.

See
Changes in WinInet API validation code could lead to Unexpected Behavior
http://blogs.msdn.com/wndp/archive/2005/08/18/453124.aspx

Josh McFarlane wrote:

>Well, it looks neat, but like you said, it's laced into Windows in a
>lot of ways. I haven't yet because I don't feel like having bleeding
>edge security flaws in a browser that has OS privileges. At least if
>Firefox has flaws, the worst it can do is execute something with
>limited user level privs.
>
>Josh
>
>On 12/11/06, Beach Access Software <bchacc at san.rr.com> wrote:
>

>>Windows is nagging me to install IE7.  I use Firefox but I know IE is laced
>>into Windows in lots of interesting ways.
>>

>>Should I do it?
>>

>>Rocky

Marty Connelly
Victoria, B.C.