[dba-Tech] "Daisy-Chaining" D-Link Routers

Bryan Carbonnell carbonnb at gmail.com
Tue Dec 19 15:01:44 CST 2006

On 12/19/06, John Bartow <john at winhaven.net> wrote:
> Bryan,
> If I undertsand this correctly yoou'll be using the DI-524 as the router and
> the DI-704P as the access point for your printer to be networked.

not quite. the 704 will be the router and access point for the
printer. The 524 will be the Wireless access pont, not routing, just
switching/hubbing :)

> If so, the first thing to do is download the latest firmware from Dlink
> http://support.dlink.com/downloads/ (because it will set all your setting s
> back to default. While there download the manual if you don't have it.

Done and got 'em

> Next, check the list of compatible printers for the 704P. (Just because your
> printer isn't in the list doesn't mean it won't work work though.) Then
> download the manual and applications for it.

THe printer is working fine on the 704

> After that it you have questions let me know, by some odd coincidence I
> happen to have both of those units.

Where I am running into issues is with wireless connectivity.

I have changed the IP of the 524 to 192.168.0.2 and disabled the DHCP
server in it.

Wirelessly I can get to the admin pages of both routers, but I can't
get out to the 'net.

The way its setup right now is:

Cable Modem --> WAN port on 704, LAN Port of 704 --> LAN port of 524

Right now the 704 is connected to the 524 with a regular CAT5 cable,
but I have read conflicting info about needing a cross-over cable.

Bryan Carbonnell - carbonnb at gmail.com
shouting "What a great ride!"