[dba-Tech] Sound and video

Steve Erbach erbachs at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 10:04:20 CST 2006

Dear Group,

Over the weekend I futzed with my PC.  It has twin 80 GB drives.  The
second one I only used to Ghost my C: drive.  Yes, I know, it should
be an external drive for backup purposes.  Stipulated.

I switched the IDE cables internally and made the Ghosted drive the
"new" C: drive and blew away the partition and reformatted it and
installed XP from scratch along with all the rest of my software.
Took about 20 hours and I still have to install some utilities, but
it's looking good.

Except for two things:  audio and video.

Video isn't THAT much of a problem, but my Belarc Advisor report I ran
before I re-formatted my secondary drive showed that my PC has a
Radeon 9550 adapter with the Default monitor.  When I reformatted and
re-installed everything, I couldn't for the life of me find anything
on my CDs nor on the ATI web site regarding actual Radeon drivers.
The ATI site has its multiple monitor/multiple desktop management
software...but no drivers.  Right now I've got the driver for the
Radeon 7500 that comes with Windows XP installed.  Any ideas on
installing the 9550 drivers?

Sound is another issue.  I've got a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz card...but
the Windows System applet says that I've got no audio adapter.  I've
installed the Turtle Beach software but I am baffled as to how to
enable it.

Now, if I switch the IDE cables back so that my "old" C: drive boots
up the PC, the audio works and the 9550 drivers are in place pretty as
you please.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Steve Erbach