[dba-Tech] Number of files in Recent

Andy Lacey andy at minstersystems.co.uk
Tue Jan 24 04:54:02 CST 2006

I've noticed that some of our Windows 2000 users have hundreds (in one case
over 1,500) shortcuts in their Recent folder. Does anyone know how to limit
this? It's a nuisance because these users have romaing profiles so all of
these tiny files are being copied back and forth across the network. What
the heck, I hear you say, but I'd like to keep things tidier if I can. And
to stress, I'm not talking about limiting the number of Recent documents one
sees in Windows, Word or anything else, but the number that are retained in
the Recent folder. Do they, in fact, ever get cleared out?

(By the way we are still on NT4 Server so Group Policies are not the
answer.)

--
Andy Lacey
http://www.minstersystems.co.uk