[dba-Tech] Almost dead hard disk

John Bartow john at winhaven.net
Thu Jan 26 20:17:39 CST 2006

Sorry Steve,
My message was offline so I'll copy and paste it into this reply...

>From Steve:
What I had done was take that 20 GB drive and connect it to the SIIG
UltraATA 66 PCI controller in my old workstation.  The added controller
added 2 IDE connectors to my system's existing two, allowing for 8 IDE
devices.

I set up the drive as a slave on the same cable as another IDE hard disk
that was a master.  I already have 3 hard disks in this particular system.
This almost-dead drive makes 4 hard disks.

When I boot up the system I first see the drives connected to the onboard
IDE controllers.  Everything's copacetic there.  Then I see the drives on
the SIIG controller...and that dying 20 GB drive is recognized by the
controller.  So far, so good.  But when Windows gets to the XP progress bar
screen with the Windows copyright information, the progress bar never gets
going.  That is, the blue lights that traverse the progress bar never
appear.  I have to power off the machine.

Next I connected the dying drive as a slave on one of the main IDE
connectors.  It's on the same IDE channel that controls the CD drive in that
system.  Start up again...and THIS time, Windows boots normally!  The only
thing different is that the drive is connected to one of the onboard IDE
controllers instead of the SIIG controller.

I'm not copying data from the dying drive -- which doesn't seem to be dying
anymore -- to another drive via the LAN.  This is my son's hard disk and his
old Gateway system has started to flake out.

I think I'll try putting his drive back into the Gateway to see if the
thing'll start.