[dba-Tech] Kill a Workgroup and Replace it with a Domain

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Sat Mar 4 18:45:04 CST 2006

On 4 Mar 2006 at 19:20, Arthur Fuller wrote:

> Way back when, I set up my home network, back when I knew even less than I
> do now, which is almost nothing. When it asked if I wanted to set up a
> domain, I assumed that it meant an internet domain, which I didn't have, so
> I chose Workgroup. I would now like to change this, and ultimately arrive at
> an Active Directory solution, replete with roaming profiles, so that no
> matter which box I am on, I see the same Outlook files, the same shortcuts,
> etc. In short, how do I get from here to there?   Should I just remove
> everyone from the workgroup, then destroy the workgroup, then create a
> domain, then add the boxes to the domain, and finally add the users? If not
> this, then what?

Assuming that you are using workstation OSs (2KPro, XPPro), you will need
to upgrade the OS on one machine to a Server version or instal a new server
with the appropriate OS.  When you do the update, you set up that machine
as the Primary Domain Controller.

You then create user accounts on that server for all of your users.

Once you have the domain controller set up, on each workstation  change the
Network properties to be part of a domain and enter the domain name. Then
just follow the prompts to connect.

>I have tried a few googles and got nowhere useful. One more
> thing. I have purchased a wireless router, but not yet set it up. The
> intended purpose of this box is to allow immediate access to my network to
> several selected people only: clients and colleagues. I want a client to be
> able to visit, turn on her notebook and immediately have access to my
> network -- not complete unfettered access, of course, but access to areas of
> interest to her.

As long as you are using NTFS on all machines, once you hae set up a domain
with a PDC,  you can restrict access to any resource on any machine based
on the user logon.   Using wireless access to your network, if they have
the relevant encryption key, they will be able to log on to your network
and use whatever resources you have made available to them.

> The list of clients/colleagues is small; less than 10 --
> and the only way they will ever access the network is by bringing their
> notebooks here. In addition to the clients/colleagues, there are 4 others to
> whom I want to give roaming profile abilities, so they can log in to any
> available box and see their stuff and not see the stuff to which they have
> no access.

Again, this will all happen automagically once you set up a domain
controller and user access rights.

--
Stuart