[dba-Tech] [dba-OT] Norton Antivirus Activation

Perry L Harold pharold at proftesting.com
Thu Mar 16 09:33:30 CST 2006

FWIW

A generalization on "bad" software or hardware.

"Everyone" knows that Adobe Reader "Works" for all pdf files so that
it's mostly universal.  We have one box though that will not run any
Reader version newer than version 5.  The box has been around for a
while and had various things installed - most of which has been
uninstalled so it's fairly clean.  But something sits on it somewhere
that keeps the newer reader(s) from working.  We have 20+ other boxes
that are a similar setup and have no problem with Reader at all.

The point being - one crash on one machine doesn't globally indicate the
quality or non-quality of the product.  Often most of us will discard
something if it doesn't work in the first instance.  However, if it
works the first 2 or 3 times and then we have a problem we will then go
to the next machine and try again.  If (and usually when) it works again
then we know that it was an aberration rather than condemning the
software (or hardware) as a whole.

And what works in my setup doesn't always work the best in your setup
and vice-versa.

The great thing about this list is that we do get to see opinions and
real world results from lots of sources to give us advice we can use in
creating our own setups.

Perry Harold