[dba-Tech] Conversion of REAL decimal numbers to Hex

Steve Erbach erbachs at gmail.com
Tue Mar 21 13:48:54 CST 2006

Rocky,

...and, according to Wikipedia, hexavigesimal is the proper term for base 26.

Interesting history of hexadecimal in Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hexadecimal

The Bendix corporation used a form of hexadecimal in 1956 using the
digits 0-9 and the letters u-z.  Proper Latin for hexadecimal would be
senidenary to go along with binary, trinary, quaternary, etc.

According to WIkipedia, base 36 is called hexatridecimal,
sexatrigesimal, and hexatrigesimal.  My search is over.

And then I found a very interesting utility at:

http://www.edepot.com/win95.html

It's a universal calculator that, believe it or not, handles numbers
with over 2 billion digits!  Also handles floating point numbers in
any base.  AND...it converts floating point numbers from any base to
any other base!  Hey! Hey!

Steve Erbach
http://TheTownCrank.blogspot.com