[dba-Tech] Google Desktop, search on network drives?

MartyConnelly martyconnelly at shaw.ca
Fri May 5 12:20:34 CDT 2006

I just use as a desktop tool so limited knowledge

There could be security problems and reindexing with a network drive has
glitches.
I can't remember how much google actually stores offsite for 30 days
with certain options.

You even get reindexing problems with attached USB and firewire drives.
See Developers Group archives
http://groups.google.com/group/Google-Desktop-Developer?lnk=li

 look up
 network shares
 mapped drives

There is new Google Desktop 3 beta for german dutch danish etc
only released 2 weeks ago.
Search Across Computers  introduces network security problems
http://googleenterprise.blogspot.com/2006/02/search-across-enterprise-desktop.html

With the Google Desktop 2 handling network shares
There are 2 ways to do this - one is to map the network drive and add
it to the GDS search path via a registry key (see
http://users.tns.net/~skingery/firefox/GDS_Tips.html)

Another way is to run GDS on the networked machine and use the
following tool:  http://dnka.com/