[dba-Tech] security apps

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Sat Nov 4 15:43:35 CST 2006

On 4 Nov 2006 at 15:00, John Bartow wrote:

> I highly recommend that all home users who refuse to pay for quality
> security products

If by that you mean products like Norton/Symantec etc, I'd argue with the
word "quality".

It's into so much a case of refusing to pay for quality, it's a case of not
wanting to buy bloated security suites which  completely take over your
computer and frequently don't play nicely with other software.

> download and use AVG Free AV, AVG Free AS, and Zone Alarm
> Free Firewall. I have them all installed on my wife's laptop so that I can

The only change I'd make to that list is Kerio/Sunbelt Firewall rather than
ZA which has tended to become bloated over the last few releases.

> keep on top of them. In fact, IMO, this combination is better than many of
> the security packages you must pay for!

I agree 100% with that.
--
Stuart