[dba-Tech] Boot off of D: drive

JWColby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Thu Nov 23 14:04:53 CST 2006

Well I was never able to get one of the existing raid drives to be bootable,
though I only tried for an hour or so.  I ended up pulling a couple of
identical 250mb SATA1 drives out of another machine and making into a raid1
using the motherboard's raid stuff.  Not blazing as is the Arcos system but
it is "just the boot drive".  As long as the raid works correctly and can be
rebuilt.  That is my biggest fear with motherboard raid.  Usually when one
drive dies, the other takes over seamlessly (I have had that happen) but I
never could get another drive to install and be rebuilt into a new raid
array.

Anyway, there you have it.  New C: raid drive, new software install.  I went
with plain old Windows 2003 this time instead of SBS, which makes for a much
easier install.

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting