[dba-Tech] uController progress

JWColby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Sun Oct 1 00:19:00 CDT 2006

Well, it's been a huge weekend.  Thursday and Friday I received the Atmel
Dragon debug board and all of the parts I ordered.  Using the breadboard and
an ATMega32 uController I build up a barebones controller.  I got the AVR
Studio downloaded and the freeware WinAVR 'C' language installed and working
through AVR Studio.  I compiled and ran an assembler program and watched the
pins toggle through the emulator.  I then found and created a project for a
little 'C' program named "Blinky", ran it and watched it run in the emulator
- toggling output pins.  I got the Dragon debug board hooked up and talking
through the USB port.  I then built a JTAG 10 pin cable to hook up the
controller circuit to the Dragon and thus to the AVR Studio.  I turned on
all of the hardware and the AVR Studio can read the internals of the
ATMega32 uController on the breadboard.

I then compiled the "Blinky" program to a hex file and apparently
successfully uploaded the hex file to the uController.  It wouldn't run, at
least I can't tell that it is.  I had set up LEDs on Port A and Blinky used
Port D.  So I changed the 'C' program (Blinky) to use Port A.  Still no go.

Sigh.

It's 01:15 now and time to get some sleep, see what occurs to me in the
morning.  I suppose I will go back and throw in LEDs on the Port D pins and
sure what.

I'm happy though, I have come a long way in a few short days.

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting