[dba-Tech] Python programming language

MartyConnelly martyconnelly at shaw.ca
Wed Oct 18 16:56:50 CDT 2006

I believe Python integrates into the backend of SPSS via API calls,
although there are Python freeware COM libraries. I would use for speed
or if I was using with an Apache Web Server to display SPSS data.
Python can run on MS or Linux/Unix boxes.

For day to day use, I prefer frontend COM access with VBA, SAXBasic,
or ODBC to get at SPSS files.
SAS stats package has similar methods. I am a few years out of date on
this though.
It really depends on where you data and main SPSS package resides or
are you just using the desktop version of SPSS.
The last time I used was on a IBM VM mainframe.

Sample quick and dirty VBA
Dim objspssapp As Object
Set objspssapp = CreateObject("SPSS.Application")
 Set objSyntaxDoc = objspssapp.OpenSyntaxDoc("c:\try.sps")
    objSyntaxDoc.Visible = True  'False
    objSyntaxDoc.Run
    objSyntaxDoc.Close
    objspssapp.Quit