[dba-Tech] One (router) to Many (users)

Erwin Craps - IT Helps Erwin.Craps at ithelps.be
Wed Sep 13 13:05:53 CDT 2006

There's one issue I not see to be covered yet, unless I missed it.

That is that most low cost routers can theoreticly manage 255 users
(typicaly a C class IP range), the processing unit itself is not
powerfull enough.

Once I had a wireless router, I think an SMC that overheated after 30
minutes or so when transfering files from a fixed pc to a wireless pc
(both local, not internet). This was due to the encryption that caused
the CPU to overheat.

This is still true for current low cost routers. The cpu power is way to
weak to support many users simulteaniously mainly due to the encyption
that needs to be done. Overheating is one issue, and network speed seems
to drop rapidly when using several encrypted wireless channels. The
wireless bandwith will also be devided by the number if users, I don't
now  how that goes but you can not have 54Mbps each and every user.

Ofcourse because xdsl is so slow compared to wired or wireless networks
that will not be a real issue for x number of users.

Anyway, I would not go above 10 users per wireless low cost router (for
internet access). If you also gonna use it for local network access, try
to use cabling rather then wireless.

I theres is 1 or more heavy internet users, you gonna get complaints
over slowness.

And don't forget you need also internal good security because your
collegue internet users could get access to your computer. That can also
be solved with the router. There are routers where you can confige only
internet access and not local networking.