[dba-Tech] OT: Is anyone into controllers?

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Tue Sep 26 15:48:43 CDT 2006

On 26 Sep 2006 at 15:41, Lembit Soobik wrote:

> thank you , Stuart,
> the microprocessor side is not that difficult.
> The problem is, how to write/read the USB port from the PC side without
> needing to develop a driver or such.

You don't need to. The cables generally come with drivers which make them
look like standard serial connections.

As an example, I run CMap on my laptop on a boat with a Garmin 76 GPS.

Th GPS  has a standard serial interface, my laptop doesn't have an serial
port and the CMap software doesn't know anything about USB ports, it only
knows how to interface to a Com1: to Com4:.

When I plug my GPS to my laptop usin the adapter cable, the GPS thinks it
is talking over a standard RS323 interface and CMap thinks that it is
reading/writing on Com2:  (my laptop thinks that the built in modem is
sitting on Com1:)

--
Stuart