[dba-Tech] Guest account

John Bartow john at winhaven.net
Tue Aug 7 09:51:31 CDT 2007

Hi Jim,
I Haven't tried Migos - had never even heard of it before.

Here's some that I have tested and/or use:

CCleaner - free:
http://www.ccleaner.com/

PCPitstop's Optimize - free scan - I forget now if they still offer a 15 day
trial (but this one is quick and lean and doesn't suck up system resources
in between running it. I also recommend the online scan, it gives good info
and generally tells you how to manually fix things:
http://www.pcpitstop.com/store/optimize.asp

I'm testing System Mechanic 7 right now but at this point I don't recommend
it because its one of those "do everything" utility programs (like Norton
System Works). The security part is not good at all and the resources used
for monitoring in between sessions is unacceptable. It does a great job with
the registry though.

Norton's System Works is fairly mundane at cleaning and optimizing these
days. The resources used for monitoring in between sessions is unacceptable.

There are a lot of Registry cleaners out there that can cause problems
though so be careful what you try. I was testing one free download that made
a royal mess of my registry - it had been recommended by one of the trade
rags too. I sometimes wonder if the rags test any of this stuff or just pass
on links!

Some more links to free tools:
http://www.winhaven.net/tools/FreeSystemChecks.html
http://www.winhaven.net/security/ChecksUps.html