[dba-Tech] Excel on averages

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Sun Aug 26 21:15:48 CDT 2007

You need to create an "array formula" (q.v. in Help.)

"An array formula can perform multiple calculations and then return
either a single result or multiple results. Array formulas act on two
or more sets of values known as array arguments. Each array argument
must have the same number of rows and columns. You create array
formulas in the same way that you create other formulas, except you
press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER to enter the formula."

If your values are in cells C2:C7 enter the following into cell C8:

=AVERAGE(IF(C2:C7<>0,C2:C7,""))

Instead of pressing Enter once you have typed this, press
Ctrl+Shift+Enter.