[dba-Tech] DOS 6.22 help

Gustav Brock Gustav at cactus.dk
Tue Dec 18 02:33:58 CST 2007

Hi Arthur

I have a complete collection of DOS 6.22 files but you would be better of with a Win98 boot diskette which has - and boots with - a generic cdrom.sys driver (which DOS 6.22 doesn't) and installs a small RAM-drive as well.

Can't help you with the quotes ... (except googling them - no fun).

/gustav

>>> fuller.artful at gmail.com 18-12-2007 00:42 >>>
Many moons ago I had a set of three 3.5 inch floppies which were the DOS
6.22 virgin installation. Due no doubt to lack of use, two now fail. I have
need to rebuild a friend's ancient machine from scratch. Does anyone by
chance have this set of disks? Another item crucial in this attempt to
resuscitate my friend's dinosaur is a file called cdrom.sys. I need that
too.

I realize that technically this might represent a copyright issue, but I've
been computing since 1983, and I can assure everyone that I've been through
a fair share of DOS computers. I need to create a 3.5 that boots to
DOS 6.22and hopefully has the
cdrom.sys on it. I vaguely recall the DOS command to load said driver, but
it's been decades. It was vaguely like device=c:\somewhere\cdrom.sys (and
before or after that there was a part that assigned the drive letter, but I
can't remember what it read etc.).

I guess it's time to go down the basement and dig out a bunch of ancient
artifacts. Hell, this might cause me to miss CSI Miami! Darnit. Dadburn it!
Dag blast it! OS Pilgrims! Why couldn't the world stay with power commands?
Now all these weiners that can click a mouse quicker than a tap dancer
figure they're programmers. Well, they ain't. They're just a buncha
mouse-clickers, and they're only five clicks from bankruptcy. So there, ya
varmints!

Two bonus points for answering the following two questions about movies. Who
said, and in which movies? (Two actors, one movie apiece.)

1. "No taste really. Kinda spongey."
2. "Daigs. You like daigs?"

Thanks,
Arthur