[dba-Tech] Windows Home Server update

Gary Kjos garykjos at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 10:41:52 CST 2007

I ordered the HP one just a moment ago. Interestingly enough I had a
hard drive crash Tuesday evening on my Vista box. It was the second
drive so it was only my data that was lost. I did have a pretty decent
backup strategy on that particular system - using th FILE BACKUP that
is built into Vista to backup on a weekly basis to an external USB
drive. Ironically it was the backup process failing on Tuesday morning
that alerted me to the drive problem. So I replaced that drive
yesterday and the data restore was running this morning when I left
for work. But I got to thinking that I don't have adequate backup
strategies for my laptop, my wife's laptop or a couple of older less
often used systems. So this morning I started looking at building a
server to run the Windows Home Server on and came to the conclusion
that I wasn't going to be saving much by rolling my own. And since I
haven't done that on a regular desktop system, perhaps geting a
prebuilt one that has the proper components that all work together
correctly might be a better choice for ME, myself and I. Well and my
wife. I mentioned to her that we hadn't backed up her system recently
this morning and she indicated that she really wouldn't want to lose
all of her e-mail and music. So I have her backing on spending the
$600. Amazon has it for $577 with Free Shipping.

GK