[dba-Tech] synctoys

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Mon Dec 24 13:02:58 CST 2007

Like many of you I have thousands of photos and I have an issue keeping them
synced between my laptop and my near line storage (WHS now, as well as a USB
drive).  I keep the photos in several different places, for example on my
wife's laptop, on WHS, on a USB drive and on a raid array out on a server.
My wife wants her own copy, I keep my copy on my USB drive so it isn't
taking up room on my hard drive nut is available if I want it and then the
"backup(s)".

And of course if Mary deletes a bunch of out of focus pictures on her
computer I want to get those deletes on the other locations.

I found SyncToys, part of the PowerToys collection from Microsoft.  It does
a good job of handling this situation.  I have used it now to sync all of
the locations and it does a pretty good job of it considering the complexity
of the task.  Recommended.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/digitalphotography/prophoto/synctoy
.mspx

John W. Colby