[dba-Tech] Building a network storage device

Bryan Carbonnell carbonnb at gmail.com
Wed Feb 7 12:14:57 CST 2007

On 2/7/07, JWColby <jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com> wrote:
> >Have  a read of the docs, all 8 pages, and that should give you a good idea
> how little you really need to know.
>
> Isn't that what Microsoft tells Joe user about Microsoft Access?

Point taken, but I dont' work for MS ;-)

> >NASLite doesn't have web admin, but it does have web status monitoring.
>
> Hmmm... What status?  Is this a Linux thing?  Or the drive stuff?

Drive stuff. The drive space, the drive health if they are SMART aware
devices, etc. and server status/info.

The NASLite-SMB Info share offers the following status information pages:
• Server – Provides information about server network settings, lists
recent server users and displays the server (Samba) configuration
file.
• System – Displays information about the server OS, uptime, load,
CPU, memory, fixed disk drive usage and network interface status.
• Disk-X - Displays Disk X initialization messages, hardware
description and S.M.A.R.T. status information if applicable. Disk 1 is
the primary (master) fixed disk
• SYS Log – Displays the current system messages log file.
• SMB Log – Displays the current SMB/CIFS Server (smbd) log file.
• NMB Log - Displays the current NetBIOS Name Server (nmbd) log file.
• About – Contains general NASLite-SMB information.

Here is a link to typical (their words not mine) status pages:
http://www.serverelements.com/info/NASLite-1/Server.htm

> >Yes, that's command line but it is still done remotely.
>
> And here we are learning Linux command line stuff.

Nope. I wrote that wrong. It's a text based menu. No fancy point and
click GUI. Its all done with the keyboard, via telnet or in front of
the actual PC.

> Bryan, I am not saying that NASLite won't do what I need.  What I want to
> know before I get in there is that I will NEVER have to go do Linux stuff
> for this thing.  Not finding a driver for a video card or the raid card or
> the NIC, nothing!  If I ever have to do any Linux stuff then I just lost
> whatever benefit I might have gained by using it in the first place, and
> since I know absolutely NOTHING about Linux, I could be in trouble in a
> hurry.

Nope. AFAICT, you will NEVER have to learn Linux. Never, ever, ever
with NASLite. It will either work out of the box with your hardware or
it won't. Period. EOD.

If it doesn't, you will need to find another solution. If it does,
then you wont' need to upgrade anything. Now having said that, if you
change hardware then the new hardware may not work. Just like any
other hardware upgrade with (pick your favourite OS here)

> I just have visions of weekends lost 6 months down the road because of (put
> your favorite unexplained circumstance here).  XP isn't beautiful, and it
> isn't problem free, but it is a known quantity which counts for something.
> OTOH I have played the XP "where is the share that is supposed to be there"
> game so I know quite well that it isn't all roses on the XP side of the
> house either.

I can't say that you won't have that experience. But it won't be
because of having to upgrade drivers or things like that. Like I said,
it'll either work, and then you're off to the races, or it won't and
you'll need to find another solution.

> It sounds appealing, that is for sure.

I guess the best way to tell for sure is to try it, in a non-critical
environment/role.

It may be for you, it may not. All I can say is that it sounds like it
will fit the bill for what you need, and I have used it myself in the
past and it worked for what I was doing.

Bryan Carbonnell - carbonnb at gmail.com
shouting "What a great ride!"