[dba-Tech] Building a network storage device

Lembit Soobik lembit.dbamail at t-online.de
Tue Feb 13 14:37:30 CST 2007

I was afraid you ask that,
but let me first answer your first question:

yes, it is that simple.
you download a CD image (about 5$), put that (with e.g. Nero) on a cd.
you go to any windows box and boot it with that CD (dont be afraid, it will
not use your HDs)
make a floppy
go to that old PC which you want to use as NAS
boot it with the floppy
you will get a simple menue from which you configure (format) the IDE
drive(s).
you give it a name and IP address, save the config to the floppy reboot it
and go to a windows PC and put your files on.
once you have that done discard keyboard and monitor and run it with telnet
from any Win box on the network.

all this works now.

in order to use SATA and such stuff, you have to download a different
version (30$)
look it up on their website under product comparison.

Lembit