[dba-Tech] network monitoring

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Mon Feb 26 23:27:27 CST 2007

On 26 Feb 2007 at 22:28, John Bartow wrote:

> I'm in need of a program that can monitor the connection reliability
> (uptime) of DSL service. Any recommendations?

http://www.dslwebserver.com/main/sbs-Installing-and-Running-
FREEping.html

<quote>
Here we'll go over how to install and setup a very useful utility
called FREEping.  If you've read through our DNS or Network section
you know what FREEping can do for you.  FREEping was designed to
monitor your network by pinging different IP addresses at a regular
interval so you could see if the computer was up or not.  However,
people who run their webservers from home find FREEping very good for
many other uses.  Here are some of the uses:

1.  Keeps your DSL or Cable line awake and prevents it from going to
sleep due to inactivity.
2.  If you have a dynamic IP address, helps prevent your IP number
from changing too often.
3.  Allows you to monitor the uptime of your DSL or cable connection.
</quote>