[dba-Tech] A Question about Word

artful at rogers.com artful at rogers.com
Sat Jan 6 11:37:10 CST 2007

I'm submitting a proposal for a book, and working from a sample
proposal supplied by my literary agent. As intelligent documents go,
this one ain't got any.

Following is a block pasted in from my version of said sample:

Chapter 1: Management Studio

                        Navigation

                        Schemas

                        Templates

            Chapter 2: Integration
Services
                        etc.

The headings do not correspond to Heading 1 etc.
The chapter numbers are literals. As I work out the outline of the
book, re-ordering the chapters, etc., I am constantly going back to renumber
the 30 chapters to reflect their new position. There has to be a better
way! I could redefine Heading 2 to reflect this formatting, but I don't
want to do that because Heading 2 is used for its natural purpose
elsewhere in the document. What I need is an auto-number style that
begins with the word "Chapter" followed by the auto-number, followed by
the title I enter, similar to the way that Table and Figure captions
work. I have no idea how to achieve this. I guess that I should create
a new Style, but that's about the extent of my knowledge of Word. Even
though I use Word constantly, I have never bothered to learn the object
model beyond its most trivial aspects. At least I know the goal: I want
to be able to drag a given chapter and its kids to a new location in
the list, and have all the chapters renumber themselves, same as
Heading 2s would do.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

TIA,

Arthur