[dba-Tech] A Question about Word

Bryan Carbonnell carbonnb at gmail.com
Sun Jan 7 20:49:31 CST 2007

On 1/6/07, artful at rogers.com <artful at rogers.com> wrote:

> The headings do not correspond to Heading 1 etc.
> The chapter numbers are literals. As I work out the outline of the
> book, re-ordering the chapters, etc., I am constantly going back to renumber
> the 30 chapters to reflect their new position. There has to be a better

> model beyond its most trivial aspects. At least I know the goal: I want
> to be able to drag a given chapter and its kids to a new location in
> the list, and have all the chapters renumber themselves, same as
> Heading 2s would do.

For the archives, same response I sent off list:

I would suggest using a SEQ field. It will increment the numbers
automatically for you, well you may have to update the fields to make
sure the numbers are updated correctly

Basically the field looks like:

{ SEQ "Chapter"\n  \* MERGEFORMAT }

The braces {} are inserted by pressing CTRL+F9 and then typing or copy
& pasting the text inbetween the braces. Right click and select Update
Field to renumber it.

When you drag and drop to reorder things, the number may not update
until you update all the fields, CTRL+A, F9 to update them.

This will only give you the number, you will still need to type
Chapter, etc for each one.

HTH,

Bryan Carbonnell - carbonnb at gmail.com
shouting "What a great ride!"