[dba-Tech] Word Question: How to Swtich Templates?

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Mon Jan 8 16:13:40 CST 2007

On 8 Jan 2007 at 12:48, artful at rogers.com wrote:

> Given document A, based on Normal.dot, which I have now customized for this
> particular document, and don't want to overwrite the old normal.dot: I
> copied the old Normal.dot to a new name, on the suspicion that Word would
> overwrite it with this version. Then I plan to rename normal.dot and restore
> the old version.
>
> That said, how do I then switch the template that this document uses?

Documents generally don't "use" templates after the document is first
created. Templates provide a basic set of styles etc which are applied when
you create a new document.  So in most cases, there is no need to switch
templates.

Having said that -  "Microsoft Word will update modified styles when you
open an existing document only if the Automatically update document styles
option is turned on. Set this option before you open an existing document
by clicking Templates and Add-Ins on the Tools menu"

If this is what you need, then you can change the document's template using
the "Attach" button in the "Tools-Templates and Add-Ins" dialog.

--
Stuart