[dba-Tech] The latest AVG anti-virus

MartyConnelly martyconnelly at shaw.ca
Sun Jan 28 14:13:20 CST 2007

You could try this Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool

A quick scan takes 5 minutes, detailed 2 hours
Only detects and removes a few rootkits
Windows update patch tuesdays is supposed to update

Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=890830

Download directly from here
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=AD724AE0-E72D-4F54-9AB3-75B8EB148356&displaylang=en

web site

Susan Harkins wrote:

>Well, I definitely feel like there's something running in the background
>because my system is terminally slow all of the sudden. :(
>
>You know, this stuff just really aggravates me. I'm nobody -- just a
>freelance writer working from home. I don't make a lot of money, I'm not
>competing with anybody, but I still have to deal with this crap -- this has
>cost me a lot of time and time is money. And, it's looking more and more
>like, I'm going to have to buy some "new" product to fix things up.
>Some people are just sick -- putting this stuff out there.
>
>The Panda scan caught the rootkit, so in the end, I'll probably have to buy
>it to get rid of it because of course, they didn't get rid of it for free --
>just found it for me for free. ;(
>
>I'm telling ya -- nice work if you can get it... what a racket.
>
>More time, more money... to protect myself -- it just seems insane.
>
>Susan H.
>
>Rootkits are bad. Sony got into a lot of trouble over those a while back.
>They're software that is essentially hidden from the OS, but that will run
>anyway. They included some on some of their "copy protected" CDs to stop you
>being able to rip them. Once someone found out about them, it was only a
>matter of time before the Virus Writers started using them.

Marty Connelly
Victoria, B.C.
Canada