[dba-Tech] Guest account

Bryan Carbonnell carbonnb at gmail.com
Mon Jul 30 19:48:59 CDT 2007

On 7/30/07, John Bartow <john at winhaven.net> wrote:
> Don't know but it just barked at me about it again.

Bark back. You don't need it.

> Its one of those pretty GUI things that are supposed to allow ordinary
> people to set up small networks. In my experience they let ordinary people
> screw things up really bad before they call someone in to help ;o)

They probably want it on so that when any other PC with the guest
account enabled will be able to access your files.

The easiest way to do file sharing is to have the same named account
on all the PCs with the same password.

I do file sharing between my laptop and desktop all the time with the
guest account off.

Heck I even have sharing setup and working between Diane's PC and mine
and she doesn't have the "shared" account that my laptop and desktop
do. She just has the username and password and it works just fine.

You're right. The Dell thing is to let people screw their PCs up so
badly that you get rich and famous off of it :)

Bryan Carbonnell - carbonnb at gmail.com
shouting "What a great ride!"