[dba-Tech] Petulant PC

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Mon Jun 4 14:57:46 CDT 2007

Jim,

On top of all that, the Dell solution is painfully expensive.  If it works,
great, but try to upgrade.

I bought an Areca controller for $490 (at that time, slightly higher now).
8x 320g drives at $120 at the time ($89 now).  I bought them 4x the first
time, then another two, then another two.

The second system the Areca board was about $500 and I used 4x 500g drives
at $140.  Then another two.  I will be buying the last two this coming
month.  I can buy them on my schedule, and the prices drop over time for the
disk drives.

My next system will use the same controller at ~$520 and 8x 750g drives for
around $200 (by the time I get ready to build them.)

Notice that the total $/MB is dropping, and in every case is waaaaaay below
Dell prices.  Of course there is always the issue of whether this RAID
system would work at all in a Dell.

I need some large raid arrays and simply cannot afford the Dell solution.
Fortunately there are alternatives.  ;-)

And I just ran across this:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/storage/display/400gb-raid0510.html

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting