[dba-Tech] DVDs vs. CDs

Arthur Fuller fuller.artful at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 21:06:25 CDT 2007

Suppose that I wish to copy a CD, purely for backup purposes, with no
intention of copyright violations? Must I purchase blank CDs to do this?

The reason I ask is because the price of blank DVDs has plummeted to the
point where there is almost no difference (price-wise) between CDs and DVDs.
They are both around $.40 currently, in this neighbourhood. Actually, that
might not be quite right. I think CDs are now more expensive, perhaps in the
same way that hard disk prices work -- want a 20MB disk? It will cost you! A
250GB disk, I can sell you cheap, but 20MB, that's pricey.

So the question is, should I wish to copy a CD, can I insert a DVD and it
will do what I want? Or not?

A.