[dba-Tech] IPCop Firewall

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Sat Jun 16 08:51:01 CDT 2007

I Decided to try IPCop for a firewall.  After much messing around I finally
got it to install on an old system with an old hard disk with a bunch of old
NICS.  Well... The install wasn't pretty, I just dug through the box looking
for at least two NICS that supported 100mbit (yes, I have some OLD stuff).
I installed two in the motherboard.  It turns out that IPCop understood the
motherboard NIC (NVIDIA chipset stuff) which I was not expecting.  OTOH, it
did not like one of the NICS I found laying around.  So ATM I have two
functioning NICS which is sufficient to get up and running, one for the WAN
and one for the LAN.  IPCop will support two more, one for a DMZ and one for
something else (I forget what).

IPCop was stuck in a loop telling me that one of my NICS was not configured
so I just rebooted.  Sure enough it booted up off of the hard disk and
started asking me for passwords.  And of course I had not downloaded the
docs (can't seem to get them now, mirror issues!) so I do not know what the
passwords are.  Sigh.  Managed to get past the first one (I think) with
administrator / secret but the second (I think) is refusing all of my
guesses.  I say "I think" because it is at a "dos prompt" (don't know the
equiv terminology in Linux).  I thought this was going to be a graphic
interface but apparently not until you get logged in.

So there we are, stuck at password.  Nothing ever goes as desired.

Sigh.

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting