[dba-Tech] webcasting

Susan Harkins ssharkins at setel.com
Wed Jun 20 08:03:38 CDT 2007

Dan, that is exactly what I would do -- and I do think I could get a few
reviews -- I hadn't thought of that, but it is a great idea.

Writing for other publishers is Okay, but they purchase entire copyrights
and then use my stuff in all kinds of ways, making a ton of money off me,
and I never see a dime of it, AND they're all paying the same fees they paid
10 years ago AND, I've had two try to CUT my rates, without even telling me.
I'm tired of it -- that medium isn't in trouble, but it is constantly
changing and the author always, always, always gets the bad end of the deal.

I've talked to the same publisher twice about this. The same deal --
although the upfront money isn't bad -- but they want the right to sell
these things forever and I never see another dime. I'm just not going to do
it. I'd like to get myself into a position where I don't have to sell my
stuff to anybody else at all, unless they keep me in the loop. I don't mind
writing for other people, I just want to make money when they're making
money.

Susan H.

How about something like:

. . . by Susan Harkins, co-author of numerous technical books like:
	a)
	b)
	c)
	d) and more!

If you can get a review of your site by a major site like CNET (or even a
news organization) that would go a long way.