[dba-Tech] Verizon or?

Arthur Fuller fuller.artful at gmail.com
Mon Jun 25 06:01:32 CDT 2007

A new client wants me to investigate the auto-billing possibilities for
possible inclusion into the app. Currently, she uses a swipe thing with a
slow phone connection etc.

I have done this once before, but that was about 3 years ago, and I would
assume (gasp) that the technology has evolved.

Here is precisely what I want:

a) assume the computer is net-connected on a fast connection;
b) assume that the customer credit card numbers are stored (in encrypted
form, in case the laptop is stolen), but that my clever code can decrypt the
numbers and then send them to the appropriate receiver (Verisign, MC, Amex,
etc.)

Last time I climbed upon this horse, there were big issues about bank
accounts relating to payment-methods. That is, one bank supported VISA, say,
while another supported MC and Diners Club.... this sort of thing results in
the client firm having several bank accounts at several banks, which is
nonsense.

As I said, last time I walked this street, that was everything available.
What I want is a one-click method that can hit all of these and even include
debit-card. I want anyone with credit and/or funds to be able to click a
button and buy a product. I don't care if you're involving Amex or MC or DC
or Discover or your green-card. I DON'T care, so long as the transaction
goes through.

So that's item d) I want every form of payment possible to be accepted. The
easy stuff is PayPal etc. Anyone can code an interface to that sort of
system. Verizon also makes possible an interface along the lines I've
sketched, but at a big chunk of each transaction.

I'm no expert on this stuff. I did some research a few years back and
implemented what I deemed the best available at the time. My choice may well
have been wrong. I will give you that, no problem. What I need to know now
is, what is the best current option?

TIA,
Arthur