[dba-Tech] DropMyRights

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Tue Jun 26 14:59:38 CDT 2007

I use it to drop the rights of FireFox, Explorer and Outlook - the three
applications on my machines that typically directly risk infection.  It
works.  No longer can you download, switch to the download window and
execute.  The download window that opens also has lower rights (because it
is opened by the browser) and so cannot execute programs.  If you want to
execute the downloads you have to open explorer and go find them and open
them.

I think it is especially useful for machines that neophytes use since it
effectively squashes their ability to download (or more correctly run)
infected junk and it squashes the ability of outside forces from doing so
without your permissions.

The only problem that took some thinking to figure out was loading firefox
add-ons.  They can't install either.  You have to go download the add-ons
with an instance of FireFox that was not opened by DropMyrights in order for
the add-ons to correctly install.

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting