[dba-Tech] Virtual Servers

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Thu Jun 28 23:25:00 CDT 2007

Are you able to assign cores, specific memory amounts, specific drive
amounts etc to server instances?  I can now obtain real dual quad core
machines (8 cores) - motherboards with 16gb memory, processors, raid and
(12) 750g hard drives, case and PS for about $7000.  If I could run virtual
machines then I could essentially have 4 dual core machines with 4g /
machine for under 2K each, all in one single chassis.  Best of all I could
start with a single proc (quad cores) and 4 or 5 hard drives, and add more
memory, another core, and more hard drives as needed.  This is intriguing.

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting