[dba-Tech] 64 bit MYSql on 64 bit linux

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Fri Jun 29 16:51:48 CDT 2007

Hi John:

I have been working with a 64bit version of Oracle but it was a nightmare to
install as the hardware and the OS did not like each other and though I
think it now has been changing, the drivers were/are still only 32bit and
not very compatible. I experienced issues with sound, LAN connections, video
displays and even printers.

There were no obvious performance improvements over a 32bit DB version, on
the same 64bit platform but I was only working with files of 100,000 records
and less and not 10 of millions.

The latest version of Linux/Vista/Server2003 are supposed have resolved
these issues but I will be taking the wait and see approach before I make
the next foray in the world of the 64bit.