[dba-Tech] Let's talk about RSS

MartyConnelly martyconnelly at shaw.ca
Fri Mar 2 12:25:38 CST 2007

If you wanted to get carried away you could store the rss
feed in an Access database something like

Sub TechEDMicrosoftRSSFeed()
Dim srcTree As Object
Dim xsltTree As Object
Dim strHTML As String
 Set srcTree = CreateObject("Msxml.DOMDocument")
        srcTree.async = False
        srcTree.Load ("http://blogs.msdn.com/brian_jones/rss.aspx")
 'srcTree.Load ("http://services.devx.com/outgoing/recentTipsFeed.xml")
 Set xsltTree = CreateObject("Msxml.DOMDOCUMENT")
        xsltTree.async = False
        'this xsl transform file can also be loaded via a local disk file
        xsltTree.Load ("http://www5.brinkster.com/mconnelly/newsfeed.xsl")

        strHTML = srcTree.transformNode(xsltTree)

        Debug.Print strHTML
        ' Display transformed xml rss news feed in html via IE 6.0 window

'        testIE (strHTML)

End Sub

Susan Harkins wrote:

>I'm interested in RSS -- but I want to make sure I know what I'm getting
>into before I go any further.
>
>I understand what RSS does, basically. I'm wondering, does it send a notice
>that a particular site has published new content or does it actually send
>the new content too?
>
>I visit a lot of sites regularly and if RSS isn't going to tell me what the
>new content is or where it is, I don't think it's of much use. If it sends
>me the new data or a synopsis and a link, that would be mega helpful.
>
>Susan H.

Marty Connelly
Victoria, B.C.
Canada