[dba-Tech] windows vista: just say no?

Gustav Brock Gustav at cactus.dk
Fri Mar 2 13:34:02 CST 2007

Hi Gary

So true. Everyone considering "upgrade" of old machines, read these clever words!

/gustav

>>> garykjos at gmail.com 02-03-2007 20:07 >>>
> Gustav, there is nothing stupid about testing a new OS whilst trying to
> avoid the expense of buying a new machine. PB<<<<

Except for horror storys like this one?  ;-)

I just got a notice that my copy of Vista that I got "free" when I
bought a new machine from Dell in December has finally shipped and
should arrive Monday. I have intentionally not loaded many things onto
this machine, continuing to use my old Dimension 8200 with Rambus ram
that sounds very similar to the guy in the story's machine, as my main
workhorse machine at home. I bought this new machine specifically to
be a Vista machine. I have really never loaded new OS onto machines
since back in the DOS days. I prefer to keep the OS that the machine
came with since I KNOW that it works. When the new OS comes out,
usually the machine I have running the old OS is pretty dated - yet it
continues to be usuable for what it has on it too. Oh, I guess I did
update a couple Windows 98 machine to Windows 98 SE. And I recently
loaded Linux onto one of those former Windows 98 Machines. But
basically I view the OS a machine comes with as part of the system and
unless you have a really pressing need, you are best off sticking with
the OS that is working fine.

The final summary that the article's author comes up with is pretty
accurate. If you can, wait for a few rounds of updates. Since I am not
using this machine for any critical work, I am able to get a little
wilder and crazier.

Your results may vary.

GK

--