[dba-Tech] Web Site Problem

Bryan Carbonnell carbonnb at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 12:21:57 CDT 2007

On 3/19/07, John Bartow <john at winhaven.net> wrote:
> Rocky,
> A good  guideline for basic web design - design to the lowest common
> denominator. Not all computers will have the fonts you have. You can usually
> assume that the standard windows and Mac fonts are installed. If you want to
> use a font for stylistic reasons you need to post it in a format that
> doesn't require the user to have the font installed. Some examples would be
> .jpg, .gif, .png, .pdf, .swf

Careful with that though. You lose accessibility for visually impaired
folks that use screen readers unless you design the page very
carefully.

> Send us a link and maybe we can figure out the sound issue.

Sounds like IE is calling WMP as a helper app to play the wav file.

To embed it in the page so that it plays like the pages you've seen
Rocky, you need to look at the embed HTML tag. Just make sure that you
display the play/pause controls so that folks can kill the audio if
they want to. Nothing like listening to rock MP3s and then hitting a
website with some light peppy embeded audio with no controls.

Bryan Carbonnell - carbonnb at gmail.com
shouting "What a great ride!"