[dba-Tech] using virtual machines

Bryan Carbonnell carbonnb at gmail.com
Fri May 18 14:46:53 CDT 2007

On 5/18/07, jwcolby <jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com> wrote:
> How do you guys use Virtual PC?  I was reading Red Tape this morning (from
> MSNBC.COM) and he talked about putting your browser (and by extension your
> email client) on a virtual PC so that if you happen to run into an infected
> web site that tries to download code onto your PC, the damage is isolated to
> your virtual machine.  Seems like a neat idea.
>
> So I though I's ask you guys how you use VPC.  If you were going to use this
> idea, would you do so with a tiny virtual hard drive?  It seems like it
> would be inconvenient to switch between virtual machines just to do browsing
> and email but I never really seriously using it don't really know that.

If you have a computer that can handle it, I'd say go for it.

I have a friend that does all his browsing in a VM.

Would I do it if I had the horsepower? No I wouldn't. Too much hassle AFAIC.

That isn't to say I don't use VMs. I do. I have a server setup to
mirror the DBA mail server so that I can test changes before applying
them to the server.

Bryan Carbonnell - carbonnb at gmail.com
shouting "What a great ride!"