[dba-Tech] CatFish

Arthur Fuller fuller.artful at gmail.com
Wed May 30 11:37:07 CDT 2007

This will be of interest only to those who have several dozen or hundreds of
CD | DVD backups and cannot find any bloddy thing when you need it.

I want to recommend CatFish. CatFish requires no installation. Copy its
files into a directory and you're loaded and ready to fire. Stick in a CD or
DVD or point it to your HD; doesn't matter. I have about a dozen DVDs filled
with backups as of some moment in time. I pumped them all into CatFish. CF
records each one as a distinct DB, but records them all in a list, and
allows cross-DB searches.

I looked to the right and conjectured that I have about 1000 CDs and/or DVDs
lurking on the shelf. Today I pumped in about 100 of same. The only thing
lacking in CatFish is the ability to read zips and catalog their contents as
if they were directories. But since the source is freely downloadable as
well, I will soon embark upon this enhancement. My C++ skills are a tad
shaky but what a wonderful excuse to sharpen them.

A.