[dba-Tech] New Flat panel display

Gary Kjos garykjos at gmail.com
Wed Nov 7 08:46:35 CST 2007

I tried to use a 19 inch and a 17 inch monitor on a dual monitor setup
and didn't have much luck with it. I ended up abandoning the idea.
Then I switched some systems around and now have two 19 inch flat
panel monitors on the same system and it works fabulously. I also have
two 19 inch CRT monitors on my work system and it works great too. I
previously had to 17 inch monitors here. This system uses a single VGA
output with a splitter thing to connect the two monitors. On my home
system one of the monitors is connected to the analog vga port on the
video card and the other is connected to the digital DVI output. Once
you work with a dual monitor system you will find it hard to ever work
on a single monitor system again.

So it's been my experience that it works great with the monitors using
the same screen format and size and resolution. I did have some
difficulties getting it to work with different sized monitors. It
seemed to cut stuff off on the smaller monitor. Truth be told I didn't
really work at fixing it all that long though before I decided to bag
it.

One funny thing I have to add. I have a Television right next to the
two monitors system on my desk at home. I do sometimes try to drag
something over to that "third monitor."

GK