[dba-Tech] VMware - WinXP setup

Bryan Carbonnell carbonnb at gmail.com
Wed Nov 7 09:05:19 CST 2007

On Nov 7, 2007 9:54 AM, Lembit Soobik <lembit.dbamail at t-online.de> wrote:
> I have set up a virtual machine and installed WinXPpro SP2 on it.
>
> Now I want to do two things:
>
> a) get the WinXP updates in a file and install it from a stored file rather
> than go through all individual download/updates, also because I want to
> build some more VMs with WinXP.
> --Where do I get the files and how do I run the updates? are they maybe on
> my hostPC already, since I have it regular updated?

If you are going to be using multiple XP VMs, why not just update the
first VM online and then once done, copy all the VM files to a new
directory and voila, a new instance of XP in a VM. It'll save time
building and updating multiple XP VMs.

> b) I want to set windows up so that it will each time when it starts use the
> original setup, so that any changes made by malware are gone at each nes
> start. where do I find such setting?

Assuming the full VM Workstation (V5.5.4 here) and not the VMPlayer.....

1) Open the VM (File|Open), but don't start it.
2) Select VM|Settings
3) Select Options Tab in the new widow that just opened.
4) Select Snapshots from the List Box.
5) Select Revert to Snapshot from the When Powering Off Option group
on the right.
6) Click OK

That should do it.

Bryan Carbonnell - carbonnb at gmail.com