[dba-Tech] New Flat panel display

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Wed Nov 7 11:46:01 CST 2007

Dan,

I am currently testing the concept with my laptop and an external Samsung
CRT.  It works great for just sliding another application (such as Firefox)
over there.  But it has a devil of a time getting a remote desktop usable.
Either it is too small (tiny print) or slider bars to move around the remote
desktop.

But...

What I just discovered (which is truly weird, counterintuitive and strange
to use...) is that if I set the monitor as my "main desktop" then it sizes
correctly (at least on a crt monitor) i.e. full screen based on the selected
resolution, AND... the remote desktop now displays "full size" on my laptop
monitor.  In fact what happens (the "strange to use" part) is that whatever
application I select in the toolbar (which is in the external monitor) is
instantly displayed, maximized and "correct size" on the laptop screen.
Truly strange!  That does allow me to see the remote desktop correctly but
totally rearranges how I would use the machine.

I am getting the impression that I really do need to match the resolution of
my laptop to the resolution of the external display if I want to have as
painless an experience as possible.

The odd part is that the external monitor does not allow my laptop's native
resolution of 1440 x 900, perhaps because of "plug and play" and it looking
at the fact that it is a Samsung 19" color CRT monitor.  That resolution may
in fact not be an option with this CRT though usually CRTs will dynamically
"adapt" to whatever is thrown at them as long as they fall within the
horizontal and vertical sync signals that they can accept.

So there we have it.  Everything works exactly as expected with an external
display of any resolution EXCEPT the one thing I most want to throw up on
it, the remote desktop screen.  I think that what happens is that Remote
desktop artificially jiggers the Remote Desktop display resolution to match
the NATIVE resolution of your computer and in this case that is 1440 x 900.

The question I have to answer now is, is it a big enough deal to cause me to
drop down the new display to match the laptop just so I get seamless
integration with remote desktop, and I have to think that the answer will be
yes.  1440 x 900 is "big enough" to allow me to do local work with two
screens displaying different things (the code editor and the database
container for example).  And with my remote desktop stuff (a HUGE part of my
life) the results look like it will "just work" with the RD thrown out on
the external monitor.

The big up side is that these 19" 1440 x 900 lcd displays are now the "low
end" screens and I can pick the higher quality screen and still get it
cheap.

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting