[dba-Tech] Out of system resources Windows XP

John Bartow john at winhaven.net
Wed Nov 14 10:18:04 CST 2007

Hi Erwin,
Would you happen to have MS Groove installed with Office? There is a bug in
it that can slow some systems down considerably. I recently ran into it on a
fairly high PC that acted as if it were an old worn out PIII system.
Removing Groove gave it back its life. The user didn't even know what Groove
was.

Next,
Have you run a manual scan for Trojans, spyware and rootkits with multiple
scanning tools? It's a war out there and one tool can miss something while
scanning with two usually results in an effective crossfire defense. (Don't
run more than one real-time scanner though.)

For rootkits I recommend you try AVG anti-rootkit and GMER anti-root or if
you want to use an online scanner F-Secure's Blacklight scanner which
detects virus, spyware and rootkits (all free).
Links to all three: http://www.winhaven.net/security/rootkits.htm

For mixed malicious software viral/spyware combinations I recommend you
download the fully functioning, trial edition of CounterSpy. CS will do a
pre-boot scan that has proven very effective for me in many instances.

With a combination of AVG (free) anti-virus and CounterSpy I have detected
many malicious programs that have eluded the installed, up-to-date security
products from the big name security companies (McAfee and Norton products).
I can't emphasize this strongly enough. I have worked on cleaning up and
optimizing dozens of computers this year. In that effort CounterSpy has been
my number one tool, Ccleaner number two.
Links to both: http://www.winhaven.net/security/Home_Users.htm
Ccleaner: http://www.winhaven.net/tools/FreeSystemChecks.html
Watch to uncheck the Google or Yahoo toolbar during installation if you
don't want that (they've recently added that).

Best of luck and let me know if I can be of any assistance.

John B.