[dba-Tech] Out of system resources Windows XP- SOLVED

Erwin Craps - IT Helps Erwin.Craps at ithelps.eu
Fri Nov 23 09:14:32 CST 2007

After along search I finally solved this issue..

I tried so many things that I'm not really sure what the problem was but I followed this thread.
http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-531691.php

>From this thread I understood that there is such a thing as invisible dependencies!!!

A few weeks ago, possibly when this problem started I disabled the Windows Firewall. I turned it off via network but afterwards noticed that the service still automatically  starts.
Living with the knowledge you better not have two firewalls on the same computer I disabled the Windows Firewall service. And apparently this is not the way to go.
As soon as I set the Windows Firewall to automatic (but still off in network), followed with the DCOM steps in the above thread and ran the WMIdiag.vbs script, my notebook is back at full speed.
It now boots in +/ 3 minutes (which is normal taking the mass of apps I have) instead of 10 minutes.
Also normal work after logon is faster. I also got rid of the mass of page faults which are now pretty stable at 100,000 for svchost. I already noticed that when I disable the WMI service the pagefaults descended from more than 1,000,000 (and rising right after login) to +/ 100.000.

So I suspect there was some corruption the WMI database and/or some invisible dependency problem with WMI/Windows Firewall due to disabling the service.
Strange there was not a single error in the event viewer to point me in this direction....

Anyway, I'm back at full speed....

Erwin