[dba-Tech] Licensing - just an FYI

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Tue Nov 27 17:33:25 CST 2007

That is an interesting article John.

Clients having or installing duplicated or pirated software happens more
often then not. I for one try to convince them that it would be better to
actually purchase the software or as in about a third of the cases assist
them in installing open-source substitutes (I have also tried to insist that
the company should in fact contribute to their new open-source app...
quality and reliability does not come for free). This happens in about half
the cases where I have come in after the fact (after initial installation).

My son-in-law convinced his employer to migrate from MS to Debian Linux
servers which saved the company an estimated $200,000 but he also convinced
them to contribute $15,000 to Debian. They are now using Linux as their core
for the last 2 years.

I would like to hear how other techs deal with these issues when working on
a client's site.